Monday, March 2, 2009

Compactron!


In 1961, a revolutionary vacuum tube called the Compactron was first introduced by engineers in our local G.E. plant. It was such a big event, an actual replica of the Compactron was built and placed in front of the plant. Nowadays, vacuum tubes have been replaced by solid-state devices like transitors and our G.E. plant now builds motors and generators. But the Compactron stands high as a reminder of their glory days. And it's just a bizarre thing to drive by and see! ;-)

8 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Take it from a Full Size Ron, the Compact Ron will never catch on, I love the sweets, the desserts, the cakes, the cookies -get the idea.

Compact indeed!

Nice shot though.

Unknown said...

Nice muted colours, reminds me of a 70's sci-fi film.

Chesney said...

One of their proud moments, I guess, think how much money they sunk into that replica! Too funny - they had to get a lot of use out of it! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks so sixties - space age kitsch! Nice photo.

Anonymous said...

Funny! I thought it was a water tank...

Anonymous said...

It does look like a prop from an old sci-fi movie. Fun shot.

Linda S said...

It's, definitely, interesting. Great capture.

Clara said...

My dad was always into electronics, and I rememeber those tubes scattered around his work area. Thanks for a great memory, Kim.