Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Look Up!


You never know what you'll find if you look up. This was flowering on a tree and the color caught my eye. I'm sure many of you (Ellen?) know what this is and could clue me in.

9 comments:

billz said...

I'll wait for Ellen to tell us what it is, but you sure captured it nicely. Great DOF. I'll bet the hummingbirds love that!

Anonymous said...

It is a trumpet vine. I posted a photo of one I found that had covered a telephone pole. (#337 Travels) They will kill any tree they climb. You might wish to find my post and learn a bit about the trumpet vine.
http://ionashomepage.blogspot.com/
Scroll down.

Kim said...

Thanks, Iona! I checked out your website and the explanation that Sherrie provided to you on the vine was fascinating. I especially loved this:

"One tip to keep it blooming (other than dead-heading it) was to beat it with a broom!"

~Val said...

A broom? Really? I'd feel guilty whacking this pretty flower. Love the bright orange!

Pennyz Image Inn said...

Nice shot. Love the colors. Crazy that something that pretty can kill a tree.

mljrbg said...

It is it certainly is beautiful. Fabulous color.

Anonymous said...

Well shot, looking up is always good advice. it does look like a trumpet vine (Campsis sp) It's native and not really a plant to get upset about.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Looking up is definitely a good thing!

Sue said...

Yup...Trumpet Vine...have a monster one on our trellis in the garden...need to get the broom oout...LOL